Ricky's Cat!!!!!!!!!!

Last Thursday March 12th Ricky shot a mountain lion! You have to draw out for a cougar tag, you can not just go up in the mountains and try to kill one. He has some hunting buddies that have dogs trained to tree cougars. This means (for those of you who don't know) that the dogs will pick up the scent of a cougar or the tracks of a cougar and chase the cougar up a tree. Cougars are really afraid of barking dogs. The cougar will not come down the tree with barking dogs below it. It really is quite fascinating. If you sent a mean, huge dog to chase a mountain lion, if the dog doesn't bark enough the mountain lion will turn around and kill it. Thus, you need really barky dogs. Anyway, last week the dogs picked up a scent and so Ricky's friend Chris called him and said to come up. It was up close to Causey Resevoir. He got up there and the dogs treed a cougar and Ricky shot it. It weighed 140 lbs. and from tip to tip was a little over 7ft long. When he took it to the taxidermist (Ricky of course wants a full body mount) the taxidermist said it was the biggest cougar he has seen this year!








These are a few pictures taken before Ricky shot it. It was up in the tree not too happy about the whole situation.












7 comments:

M. Drape said...

Ricky is absolutly amazing! I can't wait to see that thing on the shelf in the family room keeping a close eye on the little ones below. Mo and I both agree - it belongs on the shelf ;) Congrats Rick-dogg (or should I say "cat") - You're the man

Rochelle said...

Oh my gosh! I am freaking speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Matt's comment is killing me! That thing is huge!!! Dix told me it looked just like Izz (our kitty) AS if! Do people still say that?

Rochelle said...

Congrats Ricky!

CnLAland said...

Woa...amazing pics...but they scare the crap out of me! Seriously...where will you put this?!? ;) Cody will be jealous.

Shelby said...

Wow--great pics! I would not want that thinnk looking at me everyday...but I am sure you will love it. Congrats!!

Holly said...

That is awesome and slightly disterbing! I think it should be put on the front steps for halloween! As for the rest of the year, GOOD LUCK! ha, ha.

Julie said...

The live pics are beautiful. What an intimidating hunt that would be. I would be scared for my life. I can't believe he dared go and I can't believe you let him. I'm glad he made it home. That cat is HUGE! The pic with Ricky standing up next to him is amazing. So, what's he gonna do with it now?